Wednesday, March 12, 2014

CHIA SEED TEA RECIPE

I love fruits, vegetables, and chia seeds. I think everyone should be eating chia seeds to stay healthy. There are so many things you can do with them that there is no excuse for not adding them to your diet. I always eat them for breakfast. Lately I have also been making a tea drink with them too. For breakfast I add 1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds, about 1-1.5 servings of fruit (berries or kiwi, sometimes banana), and about 4 tablespoons of almond milk to a small bowl, then let it set, stirring it a few times. It takes about 5 mins for the chia seeds to expand. It is the prefect sized breakfast and takes no time to eat. You can change the taste with whatever fruit you add and it will seem like a totally different breakfast.

I think eating chia seeds is more important than working out for me. Honestly they are amazing little seeds. Some people may find that the texture takes  a bit of getting used to, but with any food like this, you can get past it after few tries. Another food I love that most people cannot get past the texture is persimmons, and I swear persimmons are the most delicious things to eat in the world. Chia seeds are like eating tadpoles the first try and persimmons are like eating jelly from a wet diaper the first try - but you CAN get past that, quickly even. I know those are horrible sounding comparisons but I think they are fairly accurate.

So, to whoever is willing to go out and buy chia seeds to try for the first time, you are warned. But I do not want to discourage anyone from trying them. Try them for 4 days, even if you cannot stand them. I know you will notice a difference in you overall health. There will be a kick start to your digestive system, so go easy while your body is getting used to them. After a week or two of consistently incorporating them into your diet you should notice plenty of benefits. Chia seeds will always be in my diet, I would never go without them anymore. They make me leaner, more muscular, and feeling great.

I am defiantly not a nutritionist. I am, however, very aware of my body. I am very in-tune with the effect my diet has on my body and how things affect my overall health. I listen to what my body wants or needs, and my body loves chia seeds. I first bought them because of their omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acid ratio. Chia seeds have a 1:3 omega-6 to omega-3 ratio and since I do not eat fish or meat it is the main source of fats in my diet.

Anyways, this post was not supposed to be about health or diet at all, just a chia seed tea recipe. But I do encourage anyone reading this to do some research on chia seeds and to incorporate them into their diet on a regular basis. They may seem expensive, but they really are not. I get mine from Costco. A large bag (907g/2Lb) is under $20 and lasts a long time (36g or 1/4 cup a serving). 

Chia Seed Tea Recipe:
All you need is your favourite tea to drink cold and 3 teaspoons of chia seeds. 
I brew 300ml of tea according to the directions for that tea. Once the tea is done, add the 3 teaspoons of chia seeds and stir occasionally. I leave it for at least a half hour and drink it within 12 hours. If you make it in a bottle, or sealable container you can just shake it and go.


BY: SARAH MELNYK 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the follow.
    Follow you back on bloglovin.
    Btw,I'm also on Instagram,maybe you like my account?
    Lovely greets from germany ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing a giveaway until aug.30, don't forget to enter!

      Delete
  2. Hey I nominated you to do the Liebster Award ! :) http://beccasbellevie.blogspot.ie/2014/03/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing a giveaway until aug.30, don't forget to enter!

      Delete